Hi! Welcome Back and Stay Tune! Return as PM? Let's see, Muhyiddin says - Mukah Pages : Media Marketing Make Easy With 24/7 Auto-Post System. Find Out How It Was Done!

Header Ads

Return as PM? Let's see, Muhyiddin says


 


Muhyiddin Yassin may have resigned as the prime minister but he is far from planning his political retirement.

The Pagoh MP also isn't completely resigned to his fate, keeping his options on the possibility that he may return as the prime minister.

Speaking to editors of the mainstream media after tendering his resignation yesterday, Muhyiddin was asked about his thoughts on the possibility of being reappointed as the prime minister.

"Well, let's see," he said. Malaysiakini obtained a recording of the meeting.

By right, Muhyiddin said, this should not happen. However, he reiterated that he is still the person who commands the support of the largest number of MPs, albeit short of a majority.

"Before I quit, I was the prime minister with the largest majority (plurality)," he said.

Muhyiddin said other MPs have also claimed that they commanded a majority but have never been able to prove it.

He alluded to PKR president Anwar Ibrahim without naming him.

"There was an MP who previously said he has a convincing and formidable (majority), but lately, we didn't hear anything. Not even convincing, not even formidable.

"We are politicians, we have our information. No one has a bigger majority (plurality) than I do," he said.

PKR president Anwar Ibrahim

Muhyiddin said there are people who wanted to stay on but must abide by parliamentary democracy.

"Many Malaysians asked 'Abah, please to stay on and don't quit, we love you'. It's very touching. I wish I could do that but under parliamentary democracy, the position of the prime minister is based on the provisions of the Federal Constitution," he said.

The Federal Constitution requires the prime minister to have majority, not plurality, support.

He said it is now up to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong to seek out a leader who has a majority in accordance with the constitutional procedures.

'No one has a bigger majority yet'

Muhyiddin said he was still unsure about offering himself as the prime ministerial candidate again if the number of MPs supporting him remained at 100 to avoid a repeat of the current political crisis.

"Will I offer myself as a candidate? I don't know yet. Even if I offer myself, the numbers remain the same. The country cannot continue with the uncertainty," he said.

However, he said based on the current situation, even an alternative candidate may not be able to have a strong majority.

"Even if it is someone else, he may only have a majority of two or three. Previously, my majority was around three, four or five.

"If another situation (loss of majority) like this happens, then it will be a repeat (of a political crisis)," he said.

Muhyiddin lost his majority after 15 MPs withdrew support for him, leaving him 11 short of a simple majority.

There are 220 MPs in the Dewan Rakyat and two vacant seats.

Muhyiddin revealed that he was also reluctant about remaining as the caretaker prime minister.

"Truthfully, I said that after I quit, I don't want this burden. But I said that I will check with the attorney-general," he said.

Muhyiddin, who consulted attorney-general Idrus Harun on the scope of a caretaker prime minister, later agreed to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong's request.

The Pagoh MP said once he is out of the job, he will be focusing on consolidating the strength of the Perikatan Nasional (PN), which he sees as a restoration of the glory days of the BN.

"For me, it's just passing through an episode... when I no longer have a position in the government, I will have a lot of time.

"What am I to do? My focus will be on my party and my PN colleagues are also with me to strengthen our parties," he said.

Muhyiddin to consolidate PN

Muhyiddin believes the people will respond positively to PN in the next general election, based on its track record.

"I have a lot of experience in leading in the election. Even during Pakatan Harapan's time, I chaired the election committee. In PN, I'm also the election (committee) chairperson.

"God willing, if the people looked at our good report card, even if there is no manifesto, and if they want to see Abah's face again, we give it to the people to decide in the election," he said.

Expressing confidence in PN, Muhyiddin said the coalition and its allies comprise 13 parties, similar to the BN of the past that represented all races.

"Even though in the early stages some said PN is a Malay Muslim government - in a way by way of reflection of numbers, it is true - but we don't just serve the Malay and Muslims, isn't it? We serve all," he said.

Muhyiddin said his PN government included Chinese and Indian representatives.

"When I formed the cabinet, by right MCA and MIC would not be in, they are very small parties. But no, I called their presidents, I wanted to have them in the cabinet," he said.

Muhyiddin said his government had assisted all communities, regardless of race, during the pandemic.

"It is a test of what this PN government is, that I believe is good and people should now trust us, we can do this.

"We don't steal people's money," he said.

Muhyiddin was forced to resign after 15 Umno MPs withdrew their support for him, leaving him with only 100 MPs left, 11 short of a majority. - Mkini



✍ Credit given to the original owner of this post : ☕ Malaysians Must Know the TRUTH

🌐 Hit This Link To Find Out More On Their Articles...🏄🏻‍♀️ Enjoy Surfing!




No comments

Comments are welcome and encouraged on this site. Comments deemed to be spam or solely promotional will be deleted. Including link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.

Comments including profanity and containing language that could deemed offensive will also deleted. Please respectful toward other contributors. Thank you.