Hi! Welcome Back and Stay Tune! Neighbour's kindness gives pandemic-hit violinist strength to continue her music - Mukah Pages : Media Marketing Make Easy With 24/7 Auto-Post System. Find Out How It Was Done!

Header Ads

Neighbour's kindness gives pandemic-hit violinist strength to continue her music


 


Professional violinist Endang Hyder has been playing her music for years, and one of her loyal fans is none other than her neighbour, a home-bound elderly woman, who Endang only knows as “Aunty”.

When the Covid-19 pandemic hit, Endang (above), just like many in the country, was badly affected. 

With no income due to restrictions on live performances, the 35-year-old Kampar-based musician has been forced to sell her belongings, including a violin and more recently, her iPhone, to keep afloat.

However, last week, when Endang returned home after doing odd jobs to make ends meet, she found a new iPhone waiting for her.

“My mother gave me the plastic bag and told me it was from Aunty. I was at loss for words,” she said when contacted.

“Together with an iPhone, they also got me phone casings, earphones, an adapter and other accessories so that I won’t have to get these myself.”

In the bag was a little note left by Aunty, which read: “Hope you can create more good songs.”

Endang added: “That night, I played for her Yue Liang Dai Biao Wo De Xin by Teresa Teng and sent her some egg sandwiches.

“Aunty’s daughter came over the next day to help set up the iPhone. She told me to not sell my stuff and to keep working on my music.

“Aunty’s daughter also asked me to tell them if I needed anything.”

Since the first package arrived, Endang said, Aunty has also sent over clothes for Endang’s three children, food and vitamin supplements.

Vitamin supplements and clothes for Endang’s three children

Kindness needs no words

Neighbours for decades, Endang said the Aunty and her family have always been very kind.

She recalled how she would return from primary school to a quiet home, because both her parents were working.

Knowing this, the neighbours would open their door wide enough so they could check on the little girl.

“Uncle (Aunty’s husband) also gives us cartons of milk, knowing that my children love them.

"They truly have done so much for me since my childhood, sometimes I wonder what I have done to deserve all these,” she said.

Endang said she hardly sees Aunty and has never actually had a proper conversation with her because the elderly woman is not conversant in English or Bahasa Malaysia.

But every night, when Endang practices her violin or performs on social media, Aunty would open her door to listen to the music.

“For the past 10 years, Aunty has stayed indoors due to health complications. Sometimes, Uncle will carry her to their balcony so she can listen to my music better from there.”

The violinist shared the story of her relationship with her neighbour on social media last week but was at first reluctant to do so for fear people might think she was showing off.

“But then I thought this is (me expressing) my gratitude towards them. I need to share what they’ve done for me.”

Restoring faith in humanity

Endang has lived in Kampar - which has a population of 854,441 - since 1997. In 2005, Endang moved to Kuala Lumpur, which is seven times the size of her hometown.

Twelve years later, she returned home, somewhat changed. In parts, she said, she found herself more judgmental and hardened by city life.

“People there (in Kuala Lumpur) are completely different from people here (in Kampar). Everyone (in Kuala Lumpur) thinks that I have a hidden agenda even if all I did was get them a cup of coffee because I was feeling happy.

“So, when I moved back to Kampar and I started falling back with these people again. It reminded me of everything that I missed, of how it feels when you do things without expecting anything in return.”

In a smaller town, the word also travels fast, she said. This was how her neighbours learnt she had to sell off her iPhone to pay the bills, even though she never mentioned it to them.

“My source of income used to be through performing in events and functions. Ever since the MCO (movement control order) was announced, we had no events and so I had to depend on my savings.

“I had to sell off my belongings in order to get some spare money. I work in orchards and also sell egg sandwiches. I only have three students learning violin at the moment,” said Endang, her voice low, when explaining her plight during this pandemic.

Still, the kindness of her neighbours gives her the strength to continue.

Playing songs specially selected for Aunty every night, to show her gratitude, has also brought her joy during this challenging period of her life.

“It’s such a surreal feeling knowing that I’m doing something for someone who's done so much for me.

“When I play for Aunty, it comes from a very special and happy place.

“Aunty has restored my faith in humanity, in doing things without expecting anything in return. A 'thank you' is not enough to express my gratitude," Endang concluded. - Mkini



✍ Credit given to the original owner of this post : ☕ Malaysians Must Know the TRUTH

🌐 Hit This Link To Find Out More On Their Articles...🏄🏻‍♀️ Enjoy Surfing!




No comments

Comments are welcome and encouraged on this site. Comments deemed to be spam or solely promotional will be deleted. Including link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.

Comments including profanity and containing language that could deemed offensive will also deleted. Please respectful toward other contributors. Thank you.