Hi! Welcome Back and Stay Tune! This is how you can feel ridiculously young at 60 - Mukah Pages : Media Marketing Make Easy With 24/7 Auto-Post System. Find Out How It Was Done!

Header Ads

This is how you can feel ridiculously young at 60

It’s finally here – my 60th birthday. I think my life has climaxed which means I am comfortable in my own skin. I can even joke about my fallen butt and bodily continental drift. After 50, this casing called the body, seems to have a mind of its own.

At 60, I FEEL ridiculously young at heart (elsewhere a bit older though). I am a sucker for compliments. That is why I always say I’m 80 when someone is curious about my age. Then they will say, “But you don’t look your age!”

See what I mean?

I live with the MOTH (My Over Thrifty Husband) who puts his money where the mouth is. That is how I get the spin-off effects. He cooks my favourite dishes. He is my food genie.

I have three lovely daughters aged 24, 30 and 32. The elder two have flown the nest. I get to keep the youngest one at home so that I can smell her forehead whenever I want to. Yes, she allows me to do that – how lucky can a mother get?

The only exercise I do is housework and of course, walking in shopping malls. I reject any kind of exercise that requires me to go under the sun or spend money on expensive exercise machines. It has taken a lot of willpower but I have finally kicked the urge to diet.

Ah, I have a few good friends who cheer the loudest at my smallest achievement. One of these women showers me with happy emojis whenever my article makes it to print. Another hails me like I made it to the Pulitzer Prize. Ego booster jabs like these make me feel unconditionally loved.

Old friends grow dearer and fewer as the years ago by. Time-tested friends give so much emotional support these days that they are to be cherished and nurtured.

I am at an age in which I can be easily forgiven when I goof. Whoa, I can flirt with young men and make no one jealous or uncomfortable. Being 60 gives me some latitude to be inane or audacious.

Celebrate life at every opportunity. Photo: Reuters

Celebrate life at every opportunity. Photo: Reuters

Sixty is a ripe time for outrage. I shall do one outrageous thing each week. At my age, people expect me to be sensible, down-to-earth and staid but I shall disillusion them. As with most things in life, a little humour helps to soften the rough edges of life. I can at last dance to my own drumbeat.

I shall live life more courageously and raise my generosity level one notch up. I shall not be afraid to go on an adventure and try new things. After all, life is a series of taking risks and you grow stronger after overcoming each obstacle.

Next, I will not weigh the words of negative comments but with the breath of kindness, blow it all away. This is because people usually do not mean what they say, and mean what they do not say. So I will stop collecting grievances as though they are Dresden china.

I will stop regretting my misspent youth while still misspending it. Instead, I will embrace every flaw, every weakness and every imperfection that make up me. Those who love me, love both the good and bad part of yours truly. Those who don’t, won’t make a difference anyway.

I have spent more than 40 years lamenting the height of my nose or the lack of. I have recently realised that a nose is a nose by any height it may pose. Similarly, I have stopped doing battle with my frizzy hair. Wonder why it took me so long to realise that I need to pick my battles. Life is too short to pay so much attention to my button nose and flyaway hair. And, by the way, it has taken me 60 years to look this good!

I will pursue happiness with missionary zeal and unrelenting courage. There is happiness in the small events of everyday life such as a good night’s sleep; drinking tea from delicate teacups; spontaneous, spluttering laughter and meaningful conversations with friends. I am duty-bound to be happy.

Finally, I shall have a grateful heart. Being 60 is an achievement by itself. If I can survive the aftermath of 50, I will be able to celebrate the advent of 60. I have legs that can spring out of bed, arms that can go round the MOTH’s belly and faith in Higher Hands that unfailingly lead me along this journey we call life.


Old is Gold is a platform for readers aged 55 and above to share their wealth of experience and take on life. E-mail star2@thestar.com.my. Published contributions will be paid, so please include your full name, IC number, address and phone number.



Source : Star2.com

No comments

Comments are welcome and encouraged on this site. Comments deemed to be spam or solely promotional will be deleted. Including link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.

Comments including profanity and containing language that could deemed offensive will also deleted. Please respectful toward other contributors. Thank you.