Hi! Welcome Back and Stay Tune! We all need a Christmas miracle - Mukah Pages : Media Marketing Make Easy With 24/7 Auto-Post System. Find Out How It Was Done!

Header Ads

We all need a Christmas miracle

Look past the bright lights and tinsel for the true meaning of Christmas.

SOME years back, I had accidentally dropped RM700 at the office basement when I was getting out of the car. I sent out a general message in the office appealing for anyone who might have picked it up to return it, though I had little hope of ever seeing the money again.

A colleague responded to the message by sending me a RM400 “love gift” anonymously, knowing that since it would soon be Christmas, the sum would be especially crucial as expenses would be extra high. As it turned out, another colleague did chance upon the cash but since he didn’t know who it belonged to, he had passed it on to the management who returned it to me.

Later, I discovered that the generous donor was my colleague Soo Ewe Jin. Although we knew each other, it wasn’t as if we were particularly close friends – his kind gesture plus how the money eventually turned up, felt like my own personal Christmas miracle. I gave him back the money but he refused, and told me to pass it on to someone who needed it more. Ewe Jin passed away a few weeks ago, but I will always remember how that year, he made my Christmas extra special and restored my faith in people.

Last month, I also lost my beloved Uncle Richard, barely a month past his 87th birthday. A Swiss married to my mum’s youngest sister, he had been getting weaker by the day in the last three years after having had a pacemaker implanted.

A lecturer in Universiti Malaya in the 1970s, he had moved back to Zurich in the 1980s. But he would visit Malaysia, his home away from home, almost every year. His daily attire was a batik shirt (even when he was in Switzerland) and in the tropics, he was usually shirtless, dressed in just a sarong; he ate every meal with chopsticks.

Apart from German, English and French, he spoke fluent Malay, and even taught himself Latin and bits of Hebrew when he was in his 70s, though Chinese was one language he could never grasp. I have a sneaking suspicion that this could have been intentional as pleading ignorance might have been his way of keeping the peace at home.

I practically grew up together with his daughters, my cousins, as we were closer in age compared with other relatives, and thanks to Uncle Richard, I developed a passion for travel and adventure, and often enjoyed a good intellectual discussion with him. Christmas Eve dinner and spending time together with the family was a given in his household, and it has since become a tradition in mine.

Earlier this year, I managed to catch up with him when I was visiting my cousins in Europe, and I had an odd feeling that it would be the last time. I’m glad I had a chance to tell him he was my favourite uncle, and how he had touched my life with his generosity, hospitality, infinite patience and open-mindedness. I’ve often told my kids not to be afraid to try new experiences. Now I realise where I got that from.

In the obit, the tribute read: “You are the best kind of friend.” That he truly was. Farewell Uncle Richard, you have made my life so much richer and colourful, and I shall miss you dearly.

This is also the season when companies vie for the best Christmas ad campaign. I’m all for the feel-good factor, the bright lights and tinsel, and the whole Yuletide razzmatazz.

But frankly, I don’t get the jumping dog in the John Lewis ad and while Marks & Spencer’s Mrs Claus was more heart-­warming, Christmas isn’t about the fat guy in the red suit.

I get that they are just commercials out to sell something, but ultimately, Christmas is really about Christians celebrating the birth of a Saviour. Even if you’re not a believer, the take-home ­message of Love and Hope speaks to all.

It’s a tumultuous world we live in today, and naysayers are ­predicting an even tougher year ahead. Instead of peace and ­progress, we are becoming more afraid and insecure – about the economy, political stability, ­religious beliefs and even our own health. All the more reason we need hope and compassion to tide us through these challenging times.

Perhaps, it is in our unconscious effort to bring hope and happiness to others, that it comes back to us. Rather than being in control and trying to be on top of things all the time, I’m slowly learning to loosen up and wait to see what happens. And sometimes, a Christmas miracle might just take place when you least expect it.

Be of good cheer, and I wish for all of you a hearty dose of Christmas magic to touch your lives this season.


Patsy is still trying to come to terms with the fact that it’s already December, and hopes to get up to speed in time for Christmas Eve dinner. Share your thoughts with star2@thestar.com.my



Source : Star2.com

No comments

Comments are welcome and encouraged on this site. Comments deemed to be spam or solely promotional will be deleted. Including link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.

Comments including profanity and containing language that could deemed offensive will also deleted. Please respectful toward other contributors. Thank you.