Hi! Welcome Back and Stay Tune! Shazrin makes history as first female sailor in sports - Mukah Pages : Media Marketing Make Easy With 24/7 Auto-Post System. Find Out How It Was Done!

Header Ads

Shazrin makes history as first female sailor in sports

Nur Shazrin was the best-placed Asian in the girls’ Laser Radial at the 45th ISAF Youth Sailing World Championship in Langkawi earlier this year. — Picture courtesy of ISNMalaysiaKUALA LUMPUR, Aug 3 — Another history-making year for Malaysian sport as we have our first ever female representation in sailing when Pasir Gudang-born Nur Shazrin Latif takes the stage.

The 17-year-old put in a strong finish to secure a silver medal behind Thailand’s Kamolwan Chanyim in the Laser Radial at the Asian Sailing Championship in Abu Dhabi, thus booking her ticket to the Rio Olympics.

Shazrin decided to take up the sport because her elder sister Nurliyana was already an established sailor. 

When she was an adolescent she wanted to be with Nurliyana all the time and Shazrin would not sit still.

“I was a rather hyper kid,” said Shazrin.

“So my mum decided to let me follow my elder sister. Although I also showed promise in other sports in school my mother made me focus on sailing. She is definitely my inspiration,” added Shazrin.

Her siblings, all sisters, are also keen sailors, namely Nur Afiqah who is currently a coach with the Pahang squad; Nurliyana, who competes in the Laser Radial category; Nur Syahirah, who represents Pahang; and Nur Alia Ameera, a national sailor in the Optimist category.

As she steps into the limelight, nothing seems to faze Shazrin. She is not nurturing high hopes but is aiming to be the best finisher among the Asians.

“Never in my wildest dreams had I figured I would make the Olympics on the first try,” she said. 

“However, now that I made it I am quite nervous. The hype around me making the cut certainly caught me by surprise but I am not fazed by it. As far as I’m concerned this trip is a learning curve for me,” she commented.

“We do not have the opportunity to go to Brazil many times in a year and test out the venue like the other nations. Even if we did, the weather and waves could be different this month.

“With all the world’s best in attendance my aim is to observe them, learn from them and take in the entire experience,” she said.

Nur Shazrin is under the tutelage of Mohd Afendy and the future is bright for this young lady.  

Afendy had nothing but praise for the sailing team even going as far as to say there could have been more participants from Malaysia had it not been for a few points lost to Singapore. 

“Sailing is growing in Malaysia, especially in Langkawi where it is now the number one sport,” claimed Afendy.

“I want sailing to be the number one sport in Malaysia and I predict that in four years, Malaysia will send six sailors to the Tokyo Olympics.

The entire country certainly hopes so.



from Malay Mail Online | All http://ift.tt/2azqCT2

Today updated news promoted by Mukah Pages

No comments

Comments are welcome and encouraged on this site. Comments deemed to be spam or solely promotional will be deleted. Including link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.

Comments including profanity and containing language that could deemed offensive will also deleted. Please respectful toward other contributors. Thank you.