Hi! Welcome Back and Stay Tune! Nazir: At the time, I did not think it was wrong - Mukah Pages : Media Marketing Make Easy With 24/7 Auto-Post System. Find Out How It Was Done!

Header Ads

Nazir: At the time, I did not think it was wrong

nazir-najib

KUALA LUMPUR: “At that time, I did not think it was wrong.”

The chairman of Malaysia’s CIMB Group Holdings Berhad Nazir Razak said this after confirming he has taken a voluntary leave of absence pending an independent review of the bank’s processes.

The bank’s board of directors are reviewing a report after the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) said Nazir received USD7 million in funds that were transferred to his personal bank account from his elder brother, Prime Minister Najib Razak, before the country’s 2013 election.

Nazir spoke to reporters today after the CIMB Group Holdings Berhad’s 59th annual general meeting (AGM) held at the Sime Darby Convention Centre here.

Nazir confirmed that it was the only time Najib had asked him for “any kind of help in political donation” when asked if this was the first time his brother had asked him for help.

“Family members do ask for help. That is the nature of what families do.

“However, when my brother asked me for help, I looked at the legal side, whether it was right or wrong.

“At that time, I did not think it was wrong,” he said.

“I have spent my 26 years to help CIMB to be one of the reputed institutions. The incident took place three years ago.

“My brother asked for help. I did not think there was anything inappropriate,” Nazir added, stating that he did what he thought was right at the time, also noting it was before the controversies surrounding 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).

“I regret my move,” he said, insisting that he would never put the bank in any risk nor injure its reputation.

“I welcome the independent review,” Nazir told reporters.

Earlier, on Instagram, AirAsia Group CEO Tony Fernandes called the move by Nazir to voluntarily go on leave as a “class act”.



Mukah Pages bring you trending news media with Free Malaysia Today http://ift.tt/1XE7RQ5

No comments

Comments are welcome and encouraged on this site. Comments deemed to be spam or solely promotional will be deleted. Including link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the post topic.

Comments including profanity and containing language that could deemed offensive will also deleted. Please respectful toward other contributors. Thank you.